Opioid Street Prices & Prescription Costs In Ohio
All opioids, whether prescription or illicit, cost money. How much prescription opioids cost depends on the type of opioid, availability, strength, how much you’re buying, and whether you have health insurance or not.
Opioids are a class of drugs that are used as analgesics or painkillers. There are a few types of opioids including natural opiates, semi-synthetic opioids, and synthetic opioids. Opioids have a legitimate medical use but are also abused and used illegally.
Using opioids in any form can increase the risk of drug addiction.
The cost of opioids in Ohio depends on the type of opioid it is and whether it’s being obtained on the street or via a prescription. The total cost of use can quickly increase exponentially if you develop opioid addiction.
With the on-goiong opioid epidemic in Ohio, many people have spent lots of money on opioids and substance abuse treatment. But beyond the cost, opioid addiction has affected so many people’s quality of life.
Street Price Of Opioids In Ohio
The street price of opioids in Ohio depends on a variety of factors but mainly depends on the type and strength of the opioid. The average street prices of certain opioids include:
- Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen): $5 per pill
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen): $10 per pill
- Opana (oxymorphone) tablets: $10 per pill
- OxyContin (oxycodone): $20-$80 per pill or $1-$2 per milligram
- Ultram (tramadol): $5 per pill
- fentanyl: $40 per transdermal patch and $25-$60 per pill
- codeine: $3-$10 per pill
- hydrocodone: $5-$20 per tablet
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid) tablets: $5 to $150 per tablet
- morphine: $10 to $80
Prescription Cost Of Opioids In Ohio
The cost of prescription opioids when you get them from your healthcare provider also depends on a number of factors like whether you have insurance or not. That said, each prescription opioid has an average price per pill. The following opioids cost:
- Vicodin: $126 for 100 pills or about $1.26 per pill
- fentanyl patches: $9.40 per patch
- oxycodone: $0.33 per 15 mg tablet or $8-$15 per 30 tablets
- OxyContin: $6-$7 per 15 mg tablet or $600 for 100 tablets
- Percocet: $5-$25 per 10 mg/325 mg pill
- tramadol: $0.62 per 50 mg pill
- morphine: $20-$30 for 50 ml
- codeine tablets: $23-$90 per 60 tablets (30 mg)
Societal Cost Of The Opioid Crisis
The cost of opioid abuse and addiction isn’t just an individual one. Society pays a high price for the opioid epidemic as well. Some of the costs of the opioid crisis include:
- increase in law enforcement and criminal justice services
- increase in healthcare costs
- costs that come with an increase in mental health and addiction treatment services
- cost due to lost productivity of those struggling with opioid abuse
When using opioids, it’s vital to know what an opioid overdose looks like. It can occur whether you’re taking illicit drugs from the street or via a prescription.
If left untreated, a fatal opioid overdose is entirely possible. Unfortunately, many people in Ohio have dealt with drug overdose deaths due to opioid misuse.
Symptoms of an opioid overdose include:
- unresponsiveness or unconsciousness
- slowed or stopped breathing
- snoring or gurgling sounds
- nausea and vomiting
- cold or clammy skin
- discolored lips or fingernails
If you or a loved one are showing signs of an opioid overdose, call 911 immediately. Additionally, if you have access to naloxone (Narcan) and are trained to use it, now is the time to administer it. It can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose and save a life.
Treatment For Opioid Addiction
During MAT, you are prescribed medication that is specifically approved to treat opioid use disorder. These medications can include methadone, buprenorphine, or Suboxone. MAT also includes behavioral therapy.
If you or a loved one are struggling with opioid abuse or any type of substance use disorder in Ohio, Ohio Recovery Center is here for you.
Our experienced staff can help you build a treatment plan that fits your individualized needs. The addiction treatment programs we offer include detox, inpatient drug rehab, medication-assisted treatment, and aftercare support.
To learn more, please call our helpline today.
- Becker’s ASC Review https://www.beckersasc.com/pain-management/prescription-painkillers-cost-up-to-13-times-more-on-street.html
- Ohio Substance Abuse Monitoring Network https://mha.ohio.gov/static/Portals/0/assets/ResearchersAndMedia/Workgroups%20and%20Networks/OSAM/DrugTrendReports/2020/OSAM%20Cleveland%20January%202020.pdf?ver=D-WssmjfGcWtEF1R15xp1Q%3D%3D
- U.S. Department of Justice https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs/651/abuse.htm
- WellRx https://www.wellrx.com/prescriptions/hydrocodone-acetaminophen/Ohio/?isModSearch=true
- WellRx https://www.wellrx.com/prescriptions/oxycodone%20hcl/Ohio/?isModSearch=true