Marijuana Street Names & Slang Terms
While marijuana may be legal in some states, it is continuously purchased on the street with a variety of street names and slang terms.
Although recreational and medical marijuana may be legal in certain states, the drug is still sought after on the street. Marijuana has various nicknames and slang terms associated with the use of the drug, whether it is smoked or taken orally as an edible.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), marijuana is the most commonly used drug in the United States.
Street Names Of Marijuana
Some of the many street names of marijuana consist of:
- mary jane
- aunt mary
- acapulco gold
- maui wowie
Additionally, certain terms may be associated with a specific country. For instance, the slang term ganja is Jamaican, and mota is a Spanish term. North Africa commonly refers to marijuana as kif while the Hawaiian term is known as pakalolo.
Marijuana Slang Terms
Some of the slang names for marijuana and terms associated with marijuana use include:
- cottonmouth (referring to the dry mouth side effect of marijuana)
- blunt, doobie (a marijuana cigarette which can range in size)
- vape (a name used to describe smoking marijuana from a device)
- edibles (a form of marijuana which can be consumed orally, such as brownies or cookies)
- toke, hit, dabbing (terms used for smoking marijuana)
- stoner (a person who frequently participates in smoking marijuana)
- bong (a form of paraphernalia used to smoke marijuana)
- munchies (referring to an increase in appetite caused by marijuana use)
- amp joint (a marijuana cigarette combined with other drugs)
- thai stick (when marijuana is combined with opium and smoked)
- wet, dust (when a blunt or joint is combined with the drug PCP)
Side Effects Of Marijuana
Side effects of marijuana may consist of:
- lack of concentration
- feelings of euphoria
- altered sense of time
- memory problems
- changes in mood
Those who participate in marijuana abuse long-term may suffer from frequent coughing or learning difficulties. Additionally, smoking marijuana while pregnant may lead to child development problems.
Marijuana Addiction Treatment
If you or a loved one are struggling with substance abuse or mental health issues related to marijuana use, reach out to Ohio Recovery Center. At our treatment center, we provide a wide range of treatment options in a residential setting. To learn more, please contact us today.
- National Library of Medicine: MedlinePlus https://medlineplus.gov/marijuana.html
- National Institute on Drug Abuse https://nida.nih.gov/publications/drugfacts/cannabis-marijuana
- National Institute on Drug Abuse https://nida.nih.gov/nidamed-medical-health-professionals/vaping-marijuana-other-drugs
- Time https://time.com/4747501/420-day-weed-marijuana-pot-slang/
- Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/05/13/weed-words-slang-terms-guide/