Methadone Street Names & Brand Names
In Ohio, methadone brand names include Methadose and Dolophine. As a treatment for opioid use disorder, methadone can only legally be distributed from approved medical providers. As a drug of abuse, methadone street names include fizzies, amidone, and chocolate chip cookies.
Methadone works by stimulating the body’s opioid receptors, much like other opioid/opiate drugs such as morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, heroin, and fentanyl.
Methadone Brand Names
Because methadone is effective for treating opioid withdrawal symptoms and chronic pain, it’s available in a number of brand name formulations as well as generic equivalents.
This includes liquid forms, dissolving tablets, powders, and pills (though pills are not used in addiction treatment due to the risk of abuse).
U.S. brand-name medications containing methadone include:
International medications containing methadone include:
- Methadone HCL Intensol (oral liquid)
- Diskets Dispersible (dissolvable tablets)
Methadose is a cherry-flavored, concentrated methadone oral solution (liquid) that can be dispensed without first being mixed into other liquids.
Other variations of Methadose include:
- Methadose Sugar-Free (an unflavored, sugar-free, and dye-free oral solution)
- Methadose Soluble Tablets (40 mg tablets that dissolve readily in liquids and can be divided into halves or quarters for lower dose applications)
Dolophine is a branded methadone product dating back to 1947. The medication takes the form of dissolvable 5 mg and 10 mg tablets that are typically mixed with apple or orange juice or some other liquid before being given to patients to drink.
In the context of addiction treatment, methadone is only available from approved healthcare providers in specific treatment environments. The drug is typically not available for patients to take home and must be administered in single doses at a treatment center.
Street Names For Methadone
Despite being commonly used to treat opioid dependence and addiction, methadone is also a strong painkiller that can be abused.
Street names and slang terms for diverted methadone products include:
- chocolate chip cookies
- tootsie roll
- and others
Common Street Names For Other Drugs Of Abuse
Given the overlapping street names for illicit prescription drugs, it can be difficult to know what substance is what. Some of the most common slang terms for drugs of abuse besides methadone include:
“Benzos” are a class of anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) and muscle-relaxing drugs, including:
- alprazolam (Xanax) bars, footballs, French fries, school bus, Xan
- clonazepam (Klonopin): k, k-pin, super valium
- diazepam (Valium): vallies, eggs, jellies, moggies
Psychedelics are drugs that change or enhance or change one’s perception of reality, often causing hallucinations. Street names may include:
- PCP (phencyclidine): angel dust, purple rain, rocket fuel, stardust, zombie
- LSD (d-lysergic acid diethylamide): acid, blotter, dots, sugar cubes
- MDMA (molly/ecstasy): Adam, beans, candy, e, e-bomb, eve, vitamin e, vitamin x
- psilocybin: shrooms, purple passion, magic mushrooms
- ketamine: cat valium, green, jet, k, k-hold, special k, kay, super acid, vitamin k
- marijuana/cannabis: 420, bud, dope, ganja, grass, hash, herb, Jane, Mary Jane, pot, roach, reefer, skunk, weed, trees
Stimulants increase activity in the central nervous system, often triggering an energetic and euphoric drug high. Street names may include:
- amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine): addies, bennies, crosses, hearts, speed, uppers, truck drivers
- methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta): speed, uppers, vitamin r, r-ball, skippy, smarties, study buddies
- synthetic cathinones (bath salts): bloom, blue silk, cloud nine, scarface, zoom
- methamphetamine/crystal meth: chalk, Christina, cookies, crank, ice, speed, tweak
- cocaine/crack cocaine: blow, candy, Charlie, coca, coke, Colombia, crack, pearl, powder, rail, snow, stardust, white girl
Opioids depress the central nervous system and suppress pain, triggering a highly addictive euphoria and false sense of wellbeing at higher doses. Street names may include:
- heroin: black tar, dope, smack, h, junk, skag, snow, China white, brown, best, hero, brown sugar, chiva, black pearl,
- fentanyl: China girl, Apache, China white, friend, goodfella, jackpot, murder 8
- codeine: captain Cody, little c, schoolboy
- hydrocodone (Lortab, Norco, Vicodin): bananas, fluff, hydros, tabs, vikes, 387, 357
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Exalgo): d, dillies, footballs, juice, smack
- morphine: m, Miss Emma, monkey, morpho, white stuff
- oxycodone (OxyContin, Roxycontin, Percocet): hillbilly heroin, blueberries, O.C. oxy, ozone, roxy, m-30s, percs, rims, tires, wheels, 512s
- oxymorphone (Opana): mrs. O, o bomb, octagons, stop signs
- tramadol (Ultram): chill pills, trammies, ultras
- buprenorphine (Suboxone): big whites, buse, oranges, sobos, stops, strips, sub
For information on our inpatient substance use disorder treatment options, including detox and medication-assisted treatment, please contact Ohio Recovery Center today.
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) — METHADONE https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_chem_info/methadone/methadone.pdf
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) — DOLOPHINE TABLETS https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/006134s038lbl.pdf
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) — METHADOSE Oral Concentrate https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/017116s029lbl.pdf
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Statutes, Regulations, and Guidelines for Medicated-Assisted Treatment https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment/statutes-regulations-guidelines
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — What is Methadone? https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment/medications-counseling-related-conditions/methadone