Lortab Dosage Guide | Proper Use Vs. Abuse
Proper Lortab use includes taking one tablespoon of hydrocodone bitartrate solution every 4 to 6 hours as needed for chronic or severe pain. Lortab abuse includes taking Lortab to get high, which can lead to physical dependence and toxicity.
Lortab tablet formulations were formerly available for medical use, but have since been discontinued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Hydrocodone/acetaminophen combination products are Schedule II controlled substances with a high potential for substance abuse. Hydrocodone/acetaminophen tablets in the U.S. are currently sold under the brand name prescription drug Norco.
Proper Use Of Lortab
Standard Lortab dosing includes taking one tablespoon every 4 to 6 hours for pain management. Each tablespoon of Lortab solution contains about 7.5 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of acetaminophen.
The doses your healthcare provider is prescribing depends on your age, body weight, and the amount of pain relief you need. Some patients may require one teaspoon or less of Lortab per dosage.
Your doctor may emphasize the importance of proper dosing, as taking an inaccurate dose of hydrocodone can lead to serious adverse effects.
What Counts As Lortab Abuse?
Lortab abuse includes:
- taking high doses instead of doses prescribed by your doctor
- taking Lortab without a prescription
- taking Lortab to get high
- using unapproved methods to take Lortab (snorting or injecting)
- taking Lortab with medications that cause drug interactions, such as benzodiazepines
Your risk of side effects may increase if you abuse Lortab.
Side Effects Of Lortab Use & Abuse
Lortab can cause central nervous system, or CNS depression, leading to adverse effects such as:
- low blood pressure
Lortab abuse can increase the risk of acetaminophen or opioid overdose. Both forms of drug overdose can be life-threatening due to hepatic problems (liver damage and liver disease) or severe respiratory depression.
Pain medications such as Lortab, Norco, and Vicodin can be habit-forming, which can be harmful to your health in the long term.
- Drug Enforcement Administration — Hydrocodone (Trade Names: Vicodin®, Lortab®, Lorcet-HD®, Hycodan®, Vicoprofen®) https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_chem_info/hydrocodone.pdf
- National Library of Medicine: DailyMed — Label: LORTAB- hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen tablet https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=f508d99b-92f7-4dcc-89bb-83d29ed988b3